Between concerts on the grass, cookouts on the beach, and fireworks in the park, July is full of reasons to pull out the beautiful table cloth or blanket and spread it out on the ground. Picnics are an easy way to celebrate both special occasions and everyday events, because when everyone is seated in the same space and sharing their favorite foods, you’re bound to have a good time. Here’s Chef Lynn Michelle’s guide to planning the perfect picnic.
- Plan the menu. When you picture a classic picnic meal, you probably think of foods that travel well and can be eaten easily. Base the majority of your menu around foods which can be made in advance and can be served at room temperature, like sandwiches, fruit platters, and salads. If you plan on bringing foods which need to be kept cold, bring a cooler along with you. Need a little menu inspiration? Chef Lynn Michelle can help you plan and pack a crowd-pleasing picnic.
- Choose the right containers. How you package the food will largely determine the tone of your picnic. Serve salads, drinks, and desserts in mason jars for a rustic aesthetic, or use steel bento boxes for a more modern feel. Don’t forget to bring several sets of reusable silverware to make your picnic an even greener affair.
- Bring a blanket. Choose a blanket that is soft enough to sit on, but is also machine washable incase of spills and grass stains. This waterproof picnic blanket is ideal for easy travel.
- Set the scene. Once you’ve decided on the setting, add a few finishing details to make your picnic experience extra special. An old trunk can double as a picnic basket and a vintage “table” to set your food on. Trays, crates, and small cutting boards are for more than just function – they look great in photos, too. String a sheet or a few umbrellas from a nearby tree to make some shade, and bring a few throw pillows to relax on after a long day outdoors.
- Game on! Spending time outdoors is a great excuse to unplug and enjoy some quality time with your crew. Cards, lawn games, or a frisbee can keep the party going all day.
Ready to plan your perfect picnic? Chef Lynn Michelle can fill your basket with elevated classics, like charcuterie boards, pasta salads, finger sandwiches, and more. Give her a call at 843-422-5480 to learn more about her menu planning and personal chef services.
*Every editorial product is independently selected. If you buy something through our links, Chef Lynn Michelle may earn an affiliate commission. We update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.