Kitchen knives are the most important cooking tools you will ever own. Choosing the right set for your diet, cooking style, and wrist strength is key to making precise and effortless cuts, no matter what you’re cooking for dinner. While your chef’s knife will be in your hand most of the time, you may also want smaller knives for chopping and mincing vegetables or one with a bigger blade if you plan to carve a rib roast.
Not sure which knives to buy? Here are Chef Lynn Michelle’s favorite knives, which are a good fit for every level of cook.
- Zwilling knives are manufactured in Germany and are made from a special formula of carbon instead of stainless steel which makes for a more resilient blade.
- Wolf Gourmet steak knives are ideal for making smooth, clean cuts through any slice of meat. Each blade is forged from a single piece of stainless steel for maximum durability.
- Viking knives are made with hollow wooden handles for superior grip, balance, and texture. From paring knives to a carving knife, this set has everything you need to cook a full meal.
- Shun knives are named after a Japanese word referring to a food’s peak ripeness. These blades are crafted using tungsten for a sharper edge, chromium for corrosion resistance, and carbon for increased durability.
- Opinel knives are made from anti-corrosive steel and beechwood from France. These knives come in a variety of shapes and sizes for specialty cuts.
Want to brush up on your knife skills before your new blades arrive? Chef Lynn Michelle can show you how to cut, dice, mince, and slice as well as a professional chef. Give her a call at 843-422-5480 to schedule your private in-home cooking class.
*Every editorial product is independently selected. If you buy something through our links, Chef Lynn Michelle may earn an affiliate commission. We update links when possible, but note that deals can expire and all prices are subject to change.