As Seen in Pink Magazine- May 2021
It’s May and spring in the air … with spring’s bounty of colorful seasonal produce and fresh ingredients, begging for a fresh recipe to put on your plate. With the colors of spring in full bloom wherever you look, it’s the perfect time to bring the bright colors of the season into your spring cooking, as well – with menu ideas that are as pretty, and colorful, to look at as they are healthy to eat and enjoy.
There’s probably no better, or simpler, way to enjoy the healthy flavors of spring than in a delicious spring salad – made even healthier (and more colorful) with the addition of fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. But eating healthy in May doesn’t have to just focus on the bright, delicious tastes of your favorite spring salad. You’ll find color – and a whole lot of health benefits – in some other spring-focused menu items that are equally as easy to make … and just as good for you.
As always, with a few adjustments and substitutions when it comes to ingredients, you can make many of your favorite spring dishes into healthier versions that can help you feel your best and ready to “spring into action” – and ready to enjoy all that these warmer months have to offer. But what’s so great about many spring dishes is that you can base them on already-healthy ingredients that offer not only lots of nutrients, but are naturally light, bright and fresh – just like springtime. For example, a simple dip made with fresh roasted red peppers and chick peas can bring you the amazing health benefits of both the red pepper (a great source of several vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant compounds) and chick peas – which are packed with nutrients and naturally high in protein, and can make an excellent substitution for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
So this spring, take in the awe-inspiring sights and sounds of the season, and enjoy the fresh smells and bright colors that abound at this time of year. And don’t forget to taste, and savor, the distinctive tastes of spring, and enjoy the colorful foods, and healthy menu ideas, that spring dining brings!
Roasted Red Pepper and Chickpea Dip
- Oven-Safe Baking Dish
- Large bowl
- 1 large jar Roasted red pepper chopped and save the juice
- 1 large can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Mayonnaise or Vegannaise
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup Red Onion
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Garlic minced
- Butter or spray your oven safe baking dish to serve this hot dip in.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large bowl, carefully blend all ingredients together.
- Place Mixture into your prepare baking dish.
- Put the baking dish into the hot oven for approximately 20 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with your favorite Chips & Veggies! LET'S EAT!
Sautéed Tofu or Chicken with a Honey and Ginger Miso Glaze
- Medium Sauce Pan
- Sauté Pan
- Baking Pan
- 1 pkg Firm tofu optional
- 3 ea Chicken breast optional, split in 2 lengthwise
- ¼ cup Fresh ginger grated
- 1 clove Fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Miso paste plus 1/2 cup water mixed together
- ¼ cup Honey optional (or sugar free sweetener)
- ½ cup Coconut aminos
- 1 dash Salt to season
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 dash Curry to season
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ cup Sesame seeds toasted (optional)
- Olive Oil as needed
- Season Chicken and Firm Tofu with salt, pepper, garlic powder, curry and Olive Oil. Set Aside.
- Make sauce. In a medium sauce pan on low heat; place 1 teaspoon of Olive Oil, fresh ginger, fresh garlic into the pan. Slowly add honey, coconut aminos, and pepper to season. Stir and let heat up for 5 minutes together.
- Add Miso mixture to the sauce pan. Blend and Mix together. Let simmer together for 10minutes, stirring occasionally to reduce the sauce. Set aside.
- Sauté the Chicken or Tofu in a sauté pan (you may have one with with lines to make the “grill” marks.
- Place the Tofu or Chicken into a greased baking pan and pour the sauce over them and place into oven at 375F for 20 Minutes or until Chicken is done. Tofu won’t take this long.
- Serve with Grilled Vegetables, LET’S EAT!
Chef Lynn Michelle’s Powerfood Salad
- Large bowl
- Mixing Utensils
- 1 lb Fresh Kale chopped
- 1 large can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained, rinsed, skins removed
- 1 cup Sunflower seeds
- 1 cup Cashews chopped in large pieces
- ¼ cup Red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups Red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup Carrots shredded
- 1 cup Edamame thawed
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 15 of Cherry tomatoes
- 1 of Rasp. Vinaigrette not intended for sugar/gluten free option or keto
- In a large bowl, wash and mix all the above ingredients together, except dressing. Set aside.
- Add dressing 2 hours before eating. Enjoy!
Key Lime Cake
- Stand Mixer
- Parchment paper
- Baking Pans (2×9" or 1×13")
- Large bowl
- Medium bowl
- 1-½ sticks Butter or shortening softened
- 1-½ cups Granulated sugar or alternative
- 2 cups All-Purpose flour gluten free
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup Egg whites approx. 6
- ¾ cup Unsweetened almond milk 3/4 cup + 2 tsp
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Fresh lime zest add when cake is baked
- 1 lb Confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 sticks Butter or vegan butter softened
- ¼ cup Almond milk
- ¼ cup Fresh lime zest
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and grease 2- 9"pans or 1- 13" pan. Using buttered parchment paper is one option for prepping your cake pans.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together the butter(or shortening) and sugar alternative until fluffy.
- In another bowl; sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a third mixing bowl, combine together the egg whites, unsweetened almond milk and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, add your butter and sugar alternative and then add half of your flour mixture and half of the egg white mixture.
- Mix this gently and then add the remaining ingredients and the lime zest to the bowl.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl as needed. When the batter is blended you can transfer it to your prepped pans. Be sure to evenly disperse the batter throughout the pans.
- Bake your cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool. Sprinkle Cake(s) with the fresh lime juice (do not add lime juice to the cake batter before baking)
- Mix all ingredients together and blend until fluffy.
- Ice cake(s) and serve!